Professor Farmer from BYU
- Deliberate Practice:
- Identify a practice task (sequence of progressively more difficult tasks).
- Practice the task (need to be motivated – have goals).
- Analyze the practice (informative feedback, evaluation, identify errors, monitor improvement)
- Modigy practice task & then repeat (went from 4 practice tasks to 22. More microscopic in the tasks. Make sure it affects their grades).
- You must somehow capture the practice performance, so that they can later review it. Too hard to try to analize performance while doing it.
- With 22 exercises too hard to learn 22 different fact patterns. Students select one fact pattern to use throughout the semester. A web page lists who has which fact pattern. Uses sharepoint to distribute materials during the class, including instructions fo the exercise.
- Supporing technoligy
- 44 web cameras on video
- share point server
- Students took trials seriously when videoed… immediately uploaded to the sharepoint server.
- Web cameras in cases on a cart. 2 cameras for each interview pointing at each other.
- Video Capture Utility in One Note. Are using something else this year.
- Use Comments in Word to mark up the individuals analysis of their performance.
- Classes of 16 are about right. More than that eats up too much time for the Prof.